November 25, 2011

Catching Up and All That Jazz

It's been a whirlwind week, and I am finally catching up with reading my daily blog list today...after helping out with Thanksgiving cooking and clean-up (I'm by no means the cook), a two-meal turkey fest, and oversleeping.  The news on the television jolted me awake--and I sat and stared in wide-eyed terror at the television screen--flabbergasted by events playing out on the news, particularly the rude behavior of some Black Friday shoppers.  Why would someone pepper spray others for a darned, inconsequential toy?  The irony of being thankful on Thanksgiving, and then being so downright mean to strangers the day afterward does not escape me.  What has happened to kindness and overall respect for oneself and others?

Yes, I do believe that the holidays bring out the subliminal mean streak of our society--the perpetual stress of merely thinking about spending time with family, the self-endowed entitlement of some, and the shopping crowds.  Everyone searching for the "perfect" gift for the "perfect" people in their lives.  I don't know if the current economy exacerbates this mean streak, but it sure seems to consistently rear its ugly head around this time of year, every year.  I can almost pinpoint the collective bad behavior to an exact date.

We need to chill out, mellow out...remember that consumerism shouldn't drive our reactions.


I suggest that instead of spending away at every seemingly-good deal--hoping that one of the gifts will "fit" a person on your gift list--we should entertain what the holidays truly means; not its point of departure or arrival, but its whole meaning.

For me, the true meaning of the holidays include: 
Reminding yourself who matters in your life and why (and in turn, remembering to be nice);
Shopping handmade and/or creating gifts;
And taking the time to reconnect with loved ones (this is not the same as the last-minute scheduling of spending time with others, or expecting someone to be free when you are because--let's face it--sometimes I don't feel like going out last minute).
This is, of course, not an exhaustive list of holiday contemplation, but it works for me.

I will be supporting handmade this holiday season, as well.  I will save the big-bargain shopping for others who can deal with the exuberant crowds, the Christmas music, and the mass marketing campaigns.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I heard an excellent comment yesterday on talk radio. "Black Friday has become a sporting event." And it's true! It's something for people to participate in. It's the perfect excuse to hide from what is missing in your life.

Here's to balance and shopping handmade!