March 17, 2014

Spring Fever

Spring is right around the corner, and I'm finding myself still gravitating towards the autumn we didn't really have last year.  Isn't that strange?  This past week, I re-found the colorful autumn leaves from this past winter, which I've blogged about here.  Those very leaves were placed inside some old hardbacks a few months ago, with the intention of displaying them once they were fully flattened and dried.  Yet, I had nearly forgotten about these natural beauties had it not been for my much belated yearning for autumn--a search for chilly weather and decaying leaves, a search for self within the natural world.

Who knew I was such a fall-leaf hoarder, with five of the aforementioned leaves stuck inside random pages of two vintage books?  (I guess you can say I'm a little scatterbrained right now, experiencing spring fever.)

Now these leaves adorn the corner of a small table that holds our printer--technology and the natural world in one small space: a visual conundrum.  Who knew this could be a subtle contradictory-yet-revelatory act, as in the nature vs. technology divide?  Some assert that the appreciation of nature is degraded by the advancement of technology, while others argue that technology advances our understanding and love of nature.  I agree more with the former rather than the latter because when we are accessing technology, whether it be through cellphones or computers, our attention is fully given to the computer screen and we do not behold the beauty directly in front of our eyes--beauty in its unadulterated, natural form propagated, but not technologically engineered, by man.  My eyes, of course, are immediately drawn to the leaves instead of the printer on the small table.  It seems that my inner and outer worlds collide in my haphazard home decor.

* * * 

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: