June 16, 2012

On Blogging

 Yes, I will admit that I am a reader of lifestyle blogs.  Some are ones that are all about consumerism and pretty things, while others are a peek into the life of a family--from, of course, the perspective of the mothers (because it seems as though most family blogs are run by the mothers).  It's not necessarily the content that I drawn to, but the entirety of the blog, including its vibe, undertones, and the writer's humor.

I was thinking about this last night, and wondered where my blog would be, on this continuum of blog content, ranging from mainly consumerism on the one end, to intimate details of a not-so-private life on the distant other.  And I've come to the realization that this blog sits squarely in the middle.  Perhaps this is why readership tends to be spotty in these parts, since my blog content is neither overly monotone or witty, nor is my aesthetic sparkly.  And I must add that I try my best to keep my private life well, private--for the most part.  (I've blogged semi-extensively about these subjects, both here and here.)

Yet, I continue in this blogging endeavor not only for my shop, but also for my own sanity.  This blog is, in truth, the only space and place where I creatively write on a regular basis.  Furthermore, there is a deeper undertow here, both in content and form, which I thoroughly enjoy exploring.  It's an intended depth; an inherent subtlety.  (No, I am not blog bashing, I am merely acknowledging the aim of my blog.)  It is my hope that this more-than-meets-the-eye demeanor is fully grasped, rather than misunderstood. 

No comments: