December 11, 2011

Thank You

Lately, I've been getting into the holiday spirit in my own hermit-y sort of way--creating gifts for people, cutting up books (that will be a chronicled in a separate post sometime soon), and dreaming up ways to stay unique in a world that urges prototypical conformity.  It's not an easy task!  However, there have been some recent developments that have reminded me why I do what I do.  And for them, I am thankful.  

As I blogged about not too long ago, I sent my hermit friends their holiday cards very early because one's destination is across the ocean.  One of these wonderful friends, GoHeyJudy, blogged about her excitement upon opening the envelope--in addition to saying such nice things about my shop.  Not that her excitement wasn't warranted, but you should see what she sent me:

 My very own Guardian Judy doll...

...isn't she absolutely charming?!?

GoHeyJudy makes the most unique and spunkiest rag dolls, and I've had my eye on her Angel Judy for some time now.  Needless to say, I was very touched by her gesture.  "Thank you so much!" doesn't have enough leverage here.

Also, I've had some really kind return customers this holiday season, and some sweet feedback, too.  These actions are reminders to me that all those long days and nights spent agonizing and obsessing over how to wrap and present my shop items were well worth the anxiety and sleeplessness.  It has taken me a year to get into the groove of how to present items purchased from my shop.  Taking photos, listing the product, and describing the item came quite easily to me, but conveying the Internet look into real life, physical items was a difficult task for a very long time.

It's like taking the uni-dimensional, flat words on a book page and translating them into a three-dimensional image.  You will undoubtedly get lost in translation (pardon the cinematic pun), stumbling over tiny details ranging from color, to ambiguity in word meaning, to tone.  The same occurs when one attempts to translate a photo into a book or story...there are so many variables to consider.

This is one constant variable: a gesture of thanks. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You opened it! LOL! I should get you to come take pictures for me. ; ) It's always amazing to see something you've created in someone's else's hands. What a cool feeling. Thanks, Emerald!

EmeraldCut said...

Yup, I finally got past the happy shock and opened it. Love it! Thank you, GoHeyJudy. :)