July 16, 2011

My Week

I don't think that one can think too much, although the frequency and perpetuation of thought can sometimes drive one crazy.  Like GET ME OUT OF HERE crazy.  Metaphorically speaking.  The mind is a powerful tool, words its conveyor of emotion, thought, and action.  Thoughts themselves convey little to no physical or emotional movement or flow; however, words cause an impact, whether it be through CAPITALIZATION, italicization, underlining, color change, or font change.  And these are just the physical/visceral capacity of words on paper.  What words cause you to feel, spoken aloud or read, can move the world, start a revolution.

I've been oscillating between writing, creating art, and trying hard to market myself to no avail (without a Facebook or Twitter account, a self-chosen act on my part) this past week.  New twine for wrapping Kraft boxes, a new sentence here, another there...a handful of new shop and blog banners, business cards.  Is it worth it to try?



Sometimes it feels so difficult to even take a deep, long breath--to just let it be and say that things happen for a reason, that things will turn out okay...

My art isn't perfect, but it is an extension of my innermost thoughts.  Emotions and thoughts raw and open wide for all to see.  My thought process is so personally valuable and complex, as all my energy goes into that one piece for however long it takes for me to create it.  As a perfectionist, I took so long and hard to create my shop concepts and beliefs, for I wanted it to reflect the contexualized Me.  As products go, I know that pendants are not an extensively marketable product, but I sell mainly pendants for consumer affordability and more earth-conscious reasons.  Yet, sometimes I feel like consumers don't even care about the "process," and care only about the end result: the piece (thanks, mass consumption!).  For me, the process is the most amazingly touching, painfully validating, and exploratory part of making handmade pieces.  The "process" is the contentment and the frustration, contained within the form.




Perhaps the perfection is in all its imperfection, its amalgamated presence--the beauty in the thought process AND the end result.  As raw and vulnerable as it may be, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: