May 14, 2016

Behind the Scenes of an Old Book

This is a photo I took a few years ago, but it's still one of my favorites.  The book is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and is a 19th-century marvel of utterly romantic (and disturbing...) proportions.  My edition was printed in the 1990s.  

From the pages of this book, I create the majority of my stamped book page items for sale in shop.  There's just something gorgeous and tactile about these particular pages: the outside edges are a soft golden hue that mellow inward into unobtrusive font on a pale cream-colored background.  It leaves me to wonder if the book was, in a previous life, placed on a bookshelf near a sunny window where sunlight left its heated imprint on the exterior of the text.  Or maybe the book was read once for a college English literature class and then discarded among other literary treasures of its kind in an indistinguishable book stack.  Who knows?  It's mine now.  The book's story is now this: a good number of its pages have been distributed throughout the US as stamped book page goods from my shop--I think this is a pretty unique outcome for a once-inconsequential used book.  Also, the cover is moody and ambient in varying shades of blue, which I find awe-inspiring to stare at. 

In other words, this particular book is a keeper.



No comments: